June 27, 2021 – It is with a heavy heart that I must inform you of the passing of our colleague and friend, Aaron Knight. Aaron’s career spanned 27 years, the majority of which he spent working with youth. He joined our City of Virginia Beach Juvenile Detention Center team in 2004 as a Youth Services Supervisor and worked his way through the ranks, eventually becoming the Superintendent of our Juvenile Detention Center in December of 2019. Aaron genuinely loved his work and made sure that the residents who came through the JDC left well-prepared for whatever came next. Though he is gone, the impact he had on his peers and youth will endure for many years to come.
Please look after each other, but more importantly, don’t forget to look after yourself, too.
ContactMarilyn Brown, President
Superintendent, Chesterfield Juvenile Detention Home
Joe Young, Website
Superintendent, NRV Juvenile Detention
- Share information and ideas.
- Assist the Department of Juvenile Justice in the development of standards, certification and evaluation related to detention programs and facilities.
- Provide information and input to the Department of Juvenile Justice as an aid in the formulation of detention policies.
- Review all official policies of the Department of Juvenile Justice concerning detention and offer suggestions for improvements and/or modifications.
- Impact the General Assembly on a proposed or existing laws regarding juvenile detention as the membership deems appropriate.
- Provide a forum for other agencies’ and organizations’ interests in or associated with juvenile detention.
- Promote training development opportunities for detention personnel.
- Facilitate the collection and dissemination of information related to juvenile detention.